In the early days of British rule in Hong Kong, the site was part of theMurray Parade Ground. Then in 1851, it was opened as a sports and recreation area and became home to the Hong Kong Cricket Cluband its ground. In 1975 Chater Garden took up the space left by the club when it moved toWong Nai Chung Gap. The garden was developed in the 1970s, and formally opened on 10 October 1978. Chater Garden is now a public park where some of Hong Kong many tai chi practitioners can be observed early in the morning.