The Man Mo Temple Compound was built approximately between 1847 and 1862 by wealthy Chinese merchants. Man Mo Temple was built mainly for the worship of Man Cheong (God of Literature) and Mo Tai (God of Martial Arts). Lit Shing Kung was built for the worship of all the Chinese gods, while Kung Sor served as a meeting place and a venue for dealing with matters related to the Chinese community in the neighbourhood. The Temple was officially entrusted to Tung Wah Hospital with the enactment of the Man Mo Temple Ordinance in 1908. Man Mo Temple was declared as a monument in 2010 and is one of the most popular tourist attractions in Hong Kong.
The Man Mo Temple Compound is a fine example of traditional Chinese vernacular architecture. It is decorated with ceramic figurines, granite and wood carvings, plaster mouldings and murals, all of which exhibit superb traditional craftsmanship.