The General Post Office is the headquarters of Hongkong Post.
It has been moved three times after several reclamations as it was essential to locate the office near the shore for receiving letters from ocean liners. Reclamations had taken place in the meantime in the late 1890s, and the first General Post Office was relocated in 1911 into new premises on the newly reclaimed section of Pedder Street. It was a typical Edwardian municipal construction of granite and red brick, and was known as “the Old Lady of Pedder Street”.
This old General Post Office building was demolished in 1976, and was functionally relocated to Connaught Place. Built in 1976, the current building occupied a seafront location until 2007, since when reclamation works have led to it becoming inland.